Hello from Boston, Massachusetts

Tell us a little about yourself and make yourself at home.

Hello from Boston, Massachusetts

Postby Ronald S » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:14 pm

Hello Everyone,
Thank you for having me as a member of the community. I am a novice when it comes to engraving and metal work, but I am an enthusiastic novice! I'm not afraid to try new things. I have found a real love when it comes to engraving and metal work. I know this because when I start working on a project, I find that time and all normal distractions seem to fade away. Regardless of the results of the time spent working on that project, I find a real sense of satisfaction in putting forth the time and effort.

I should stop here so that I don't ramble on for too long. Although I don't have too much to share, I have posted a few pictures up in an album.

Thanks again and I look forward to collaborating with you all.

Shibuichi test run. This was the end result. Our propane tank, charcoal forge, which was lined with mixture of perlite and sodium silicate, failed to maintain temperature high enough to keep the copper molten. I'm in the process of cleaning out the failed walls and will replace with ceramic blanket coated in refractory cement. I had used the forge successfully about ten times before it failed.

This was just before the Sodium Silicate walls failed.

After retiring an old server, I decided to engrave bender onto the processor heat sync.

Finally, these are some of the chisels I have made. These are mostly used for making hobo nickles. The steel varies between HSS, Masonry nails and spring steel from an old electrical fish tape. The first three on the left are iron brush blanks made of HSS.
Ronald S

Re: Hello from Boston, Massachusetts

Postby Steve » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:58 am

Welcome Ronald.
Steve

Return to Introductions...please.