Friction Folder

For work in progess and finished pieces

Friction Folder

Postby Wayne H » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:39 am

Hi All,

So this is officially the first piece I am trying (aside from a small practice plate I did when I went to get some guidance from Tiaan Burger). And a massive thanks to Tiaan Burger for the time he spent with me and guiding me through the basics. It was a massive help in understanding what was happening in some of Ford's videos (he makes it look so quick and easy :biggrin: )

The friction folder is fully forged (blade is 1075 steel) with a mild steel handle (inspired by work Tiaan Burger has done)

The Practice Plate

The design for the friction folder (my daughter wanted to see roses, that is why I am doing a rose)

Design transferred onto tracing paper

Design transferred onto the one side of the handle

Design outlined

And the progress through

Giving the petals some shape (well attempting to anyways) to make it look a bit more realistic and not flat.

Another angle

And that is where I have got so far. I am still very new to this and I see from looking at my work I have lots to improve on, but I am trying to find my mistakes and correct them as I go along.

Any comments and crits are welcome, please help me improve.
Wayne H

Re: Friction Folder

Postby cam_hardiman » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:19 am

Hi Wayne,

Have you got a photographic reference for the rose that you have been using?

Cam
cam_hardiman

Postby Wayne H » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:51 pm

I used this as reference.

The back bit I did in my head (I perhaps should have used better reference)
Wayne H

Postby cam_hardiman » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:17 pm

Hi Wayne,

Firstly, I have not worked with Tagane, yet. So my knowledge of the process is limited. But I do have an art background, so I hope what I have to say will be of some value to you.

The reason I ask about references, and I deliberately use the plural, is because they play a vital part in your chosen art form. Unlike a painter who has access to a variety of brushes and an endless colour palette to work with, you are limited to a few tagane and a one colour palette. You need them to pick up those subtle differences in a rose that make it distinguishable from any there flower. I suggest gathering an assortment of photographs, try good professional or semi-professional photographs like the ones you find on Pinterest or Getty, create a folder full and study them, and then find those subtle differences and incorporate them into your work. I say use professional photographs because the photographer has done some of the hard work for you, especially with regard to composition. You can even try searching clip-art, back and white images and silhouettes.

Constantly refer back to your reference material during your planning sketches, layout and while carving.

Things to look for would be the serrated edges of the leaf, he leaves veins, the way the petals curl over, or how the petals over lap each other from layer to layer. When copying these from another piece of artwork you may inadvertently replicate a feature that is incorrect, not quite right or worse; non-existant.

You rose is on its way to looking pretty good and will only improve when there is more relief in the work. Watch the petals as they curl over on the ends. Study the shape and texture of some rose leaves, that will no doubt put you on the right track there.

Cam
cam_hardiman

Postby Wayne H » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:45 pm

Thanks Cam,

Much appreciated feedback. I do tend to forget reference photos, which as you've said is a mistake, will collect some more pics in my pinterest board for this work.

I agree on the relief needed, Still a bit unsure on how all this works myself and how deep I can go without going too deep (it is 2mm steel, so not a ton of room). I know inlays would help but I don't feel confident enough to do inlay work yet, I will get there.

Studying what I have done so far I feel I have not yet got enough smoothness in the petals, real ones are a lot less "bumpy". I should be able to fix that still but I think before I perfect petals I want to rough out the rest of the petals so I get a more complete picture. Because I am still very much learning I need to often correct for mistakes and try and hide them, hopefully not enough where I completely kill the design.

Hopefully more work will be done this week when I can get back on my feet for long enough periods to do some work :)
Wayne H

Postby cam_hardiman » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:55 pm

Hi Wayne,

The two biggest issues is see are that the leaves have no serrated edge, and the edges of the two petals (outside left) blend into each other.

Pintrest is a great resource for references. Have you tried a google search for 'rose silhouette', then select images?

Cam
cam_hardiman

Postby Wayne H » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:19 pm

I'll try and fix the leaves, just depends on my ability to do so. The petals still need a ton of work :).

And yup, I'm busy adding pins to the pinterest board for this work.
Wayne H

Postby cam_hardiman » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:05 am

Good luck Wayne,

Please post progress photographs.

Cam
:pray1:
cam_hardiman

Postby Wayne H » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:36 am

Will do,

Unfortunately I have been out of action for the past while. Unfortunate (some non thinking on my part) accident with a knife blade sent me into hospital so I have been needing to keep my feet up, sitting for extended periods hurts. I am hoping today I will get to doing more (and this weekend).
Wayne H

Postby Wayne H » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:58 am

Thankfully I was able to spend some time in-front of the pitch bowl

I am not overly happy with the bottom of the rose. Its going a bit pear shaped there. I relooked at the lines and petals and decided to remove one line as I could not get my head around my original intention of putting it there (I could not see in 3D how the line would look) so I killed it. But the bottom section needs some work to make it look realistic (where all the petals originate from).

The center twirl still needs a lot of work to make them look like the edges of petals, gets a bit frustrating, I am feel like I am taking forever to get anywhere, I know I am still very new so naturally I won't be quick but its trying to force myself to relax, think about what I am doing and to do it in a considered manner

At the very least I am learning from the mistakes I am making here.
Wayne H

Postby cam_hardiman » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:35 am

Wayne, have you tried getting a marker and drawing from the reference piece over the top of your engraving. I think you'll some lines missing?

Part of the petal on the inside left?

Cam
cam_hardiman

Return to Show and tell