Basic tsuba project No:1

Re: Basic tsuba project No:1

Postby cam_hardiman » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:08 am

Slowly getting there, and in no hurry to finish. I am trying to develop the basic skills and also enjoy the process.

I have been concentrating on getting the inside shape of the four diamonds right before cutting the outside spaces, especially the subtly curve.

Cam

Tsuba 1.jpg
Progress on Tsuba tutorial 1
cam_hardiman

Postby Chris A » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:41 pm

looking pretty tidy so far Cam; your previous observations give me confidence this will turn out well. :biggrin:
'If I see further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants' - Newton
Chris A
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby cam_hardiman » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:03 pm

Thanks Chris.

I am not entirely happy with the tsuba right now. It has some reasonably good points, but I think they are out numbered by the less than satisfactory ones. I have put it away for now and will have another look at it with fresh eyes tomorrow afternoon. Then spend a few hours on it.

I'll also post a few more images after that.

Referring back to the original photograph of the tsuba. The design is quite delicate, which I am finding the hardest thing to achieve.

Cam
cam_hardiman

Postby Chris A » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:24 am

Cam, this project is somewhat enigmatic, but it can be overthought; but the solution lies in getting on and doing it (with care and observation). When you think it's finished, it probably isn't; and when it is, you may feel the only way to get where you want is to do it again.

n.b. there are some good attempts of this in the 'show and listen' forum (at the very top of the show and tell page), which I never saw until I'd done it and wished I had.
'If I see further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants' - Newton
Chris A
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby cam_hardiman » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:37 pm

Thanks Chris,

I have been trawling through the forum since I started the tutorial. I am pretty sure I have seen the majority of the other forum members efforts.

I am making progress very slowly. Things tend to progress that way in my workshop.

Cam

:pray1:

Basic Tsuba 1 Progress.jpg
Progress
cam_hardiman

Postby cam_hardiman » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:09 am

Cutting has finished. I am reasonably happy with the Tsuba apart from the spaces between the four diamonds (that terminate at the sepia-dai). They are uneven and effect the thickness of the diamonds. They also happen to be the last sections I cut out, which is disappointing to end on a sour note.

The tutorial so far has been an exercise in marking out and cutting. A simple geometric pattern is certainly not as easy as it looks and is terribly unforgiving should you not mark out accurately or cut a little off line. There is little room for error.

I found that accuracy in cutting greatly depended on the saw I used. Initially I was using one of the red devils (New Concepts). I have had one for some time, using it to cut out dovetail waste. It's incredibly light, but despite the over engineering it has some flex in the frame. I went out and bought a Grobet, which is a little heavier and more rigid. The accuracy of the cuts improved, but the mortality rate of blades went up. With the New Concepts now hanging on the wall and gathering dust, I will continue to use the Grobet and hopefully improve my blade mortality rate.

This would be a tsuba that I would like to revisit and have a second crack it in a few months from now.

I'll start filing and texturing, softening the edges. Then onto patination.

Cam

:pray1:

Tsuba Tutorial 1 b.jpg

Tsuba Tutorial 1 a.jpg
cam_hardiman

Postby cam_hardiman » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:26 pm

I finshed working on the patina today.

Although I enjoyed the process of making this Tsuba, there are a few things I am not happy with. The spaces between the diamonds are not even and out of shape. I am also not really happy with the texture.

That being said, making this Tsuba involved a very steep learning curve and I am happy that I have completed it.

I'll use what I have learned to do a better job of the Tsuba tutorial 2.

Cam

Tsuba 1.jpg
Tsuba tutorial 1 Final
cam_hardiman

Previous

Return to Technique & Tutorials