Basic tsuba project No:1

Re: Basic tsuba project No:1

Postby Chris S » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:20 pm

:clap: Wonderful first effort, sir!

I'm just a rookie myself, but having undertaken this project, I'll offer some rookie level feedback;

- It seems like a cautious evolution starting from the CAD drawing for many of us just starting out. The lines in the center of your piece are very geometrically 'perfect' (for lack of a better word) and Ford actually poses the question earlier in the thread, 'should they be?' The original is much less hard lines and tight 90's and more organic/free flowing. Reading over this thread several times gave me some insightful cues to tune and tweak.

- The rim and the face do not flow into one another. Again, I did the same thing with mine; after realizing that there should not be a demarcation line, I rounded it into one flowing 'line'. A tip that helped me with this is to be methodical in cutting your bevels -- work one line all the way around, flip to the other side and repeat. Then cut the next at a slightly steeper angle, then the next, then blend them together - have a plan, work cautiously (but confidently!), be mindful of everything you do. Use the reflection of the light on the freshly filed bevel as your guide as you work the bevel around the rim.

- It looks to my eyes that the lines in the center are a bit thick/wide. Once again, I did the same thing. I think the CAD drawing leads us a bit astray in this respect; its helpful in achieving the basic shape but the focus should always be on the original photo. I put my tsuba on the Vallorbe diet after making that realization, rather than starting anew. I also suggest taking a close look at the kogai and the hitsu in the original photo, there are some sneaky little subtleties going on there...

From the Iron Brushers I talk to, it seems that most people who are serious about this 'assignment' usually make several attempts with this piece in their discovery (or if you are like me, spend an insane amount of hours filing :rolleyes: ) I hope you get the chance to take a class with Ford, you will learn so much proper technique, it will swiftly evolve the way you approach the work.

Again, great first effort!

-Christopher
Chris S

Re: Basic tsuba project No:1

Postby Lucas C » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:03 pm

Chris,
Thank you very much for taking some time examinating my tsuba and sharing your experience and critics. Those are indeed extremely valuable.
I've tryed to read most of the information on this trend, but as I said, I did it after finishing my piece.
When I rounded the rim, I used some machinist ink and marked the start of the curve, as seen on the picture. Then I rounded it all.
Unfortunately I don't have Vallorbe files yet, those are ridiculously expensive in my country :rolleyes: . But I'm planning to purchase some pretty soon.
I'm sure I have much more to learn and will be making this project again. I actually am working in another one right now.
I still find it difficult to perceive all the details of the original, specially the rounded parts that are hard to see by the picture.
I'm also working on different shapes, like one crab tsuba that I have almost finished cutting.
Again, thank you very much for your time and valuable tips.
See you
Attachments
20170223_151002.jpg
Lucas C

Previous

Return to Technique & Tutorials