Wrought iron tsuba blanks

For sale postings are limited to members who've posted at least 10 times on the forum and who are active participants of the community.

Wrought iron tsuba blanks

Postby Kevin » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:45 pm

For those of you following Ford's Facebook page, you may have noticed him working on a tsuba and fuchi/kashira set that are based on some 120-year-old wrought iron sourced for him by forumite Michael Coffey. The intent has been to potentially offer this material for sale, but Ford needed to assess how workable the material was for making tosogu before recommending it. From Ford:

15443112_1247500261977335_6099514068066431854_o.jpg
This is a close up of the iron tsuba I posted an image of last night. Its incredibly finely wrought-iron that Michael Coffey managed to source for us. It's about 120 years old and carves like a dream. This image shows how well the material holds together under very extreme chiselling pressures and stresses. Seeing this I have absolutely no hesitation in recommending this batch for even the finest carving work in iron.

In fact it's iron of this quality, and that has never been fully molten metal but rather simply worked down to refine and consolidate by fire welding, that the top artists were working with by the mid to late Edo period. Another benefit of working with this sort of material is that it patinates really nicely.

We have three more of these blanks available for purchase at the studio in England. They are $85 USD plus shipping, payable directly to forumite Michael Coffey - but message either Ford or I and we'll ship from here. When these are gone, any future orders can be directed straight to Michael. He assures us that he has lots of material, and can make blanks in specific weights, sizes and thicknesses to suit your project. Here are the three we have in England:

86x89x3.5mm.jpg
86mm x 89mm x 3.5mm

82x87x3.5mm.jpg
82mm x 87mm x 3.5mm

75x80x4mm.jpg
75mm x 80mm x 4mm
Sold

angle.jpg
Surface detail

Please don't hesitate to reach out with any questions. Thanks!
The "silly question" is the first intimation of some totally new development...
My Website
My Facebook page

Kevin Adams
Kevin
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Wrought iron tsuba blanks

Postby Michael C » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:30 pm

Kevin is right, I've got my hands on a fair amount of some pretty unique iron here. We've had loads come into the shop over the years, but the working qualities of this stuff is worlds apart from other varieties of wrought I've dealt with. I do have other, coarser varieties available if there's interest but I wouldn't expect this particular material to be around forever.

If you're interested in this material, feel free to message me here on the boards or through my email address: gofgor@gmail.com

I don't currently have any blanks on hand, but I am going to make some up soon in anticipation of demand. For future orders, please allow 2 weeks from the time of payment for delivery as I'll need to take some time to process the material into a suitable shape.

And speaking of a suitable shape, I believe the ones pictured in Kevin's post are approximately 170g and 3-4mm thick. I don't recall the specific length and width measurements, maybe Kevin can slap a ruler on those to give an expectation of what you'll receive for the price. I recall there being a few I made that were more in the 5-6mm thick range and maybe 7-8cm across the face. Those sold for $110, and I think a good guideline for expectations if you're looking for a custom size (which I am more than happy to do :) )
Michael C

Postby Kevin » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:53 pm

75 x 80 spoken for.
The "silly question" is the first intimation of some totally new development...
My Website
My Facebook page

Kevin Adams
Kevin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Michael C » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:28 pm

I've been knocking a few plates out as of last night and into today, and I plan on having what will essentially amount to two basic ranges of sizes available - pieces very similar to the ones currently listed, and a larger size more suitable for substantial pieces with lots of piercework (think pieces like the plum tsuba - Basic project #2). These will be more along the lines of 5-6mm thick, and about 80-85mm around. Those will be available for $110 USD each, plus shipping & handling fees.

A note on the general condition of the plates - The plates are currently being supplied as forged, with the scale pickled off. The pictures Kevin took of the plates in the first post are a very accurate representation of the sort of surface and edge qualities you can expect to see.

Thanks for all the attention these have gotten, I'm excited to see the results once they find their way to their new homes :Peace:
Michael C

Postby Chris S » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:17 pm

Outstanding!

These look amazing, I can't wait to work with one! :clap:
Chris S

Postby Ford » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:20 pm

The tiger I'm carving at the moment is in this material and it really is a joy to carve. :thumbsup:
"The artist yields often to the stimuli of materials that will transmit his spirit." Odilon Redon
my website
Ford
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Sales