Inexpensive File Rack

for the discussion of materials and tools, supplies and where to get or exchange them

Inexpensive File Rack

Postby Albert R » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:29 am

Folks,
With the cost of new files being as high as they are, I thought it prudent to create a means of protecting them.
Here's my proof of concept:

1/2 inch CPVC is what I had lying around in the Garage of Doom, so I cut a couple of different lengths (4" and 5.5") with the chop saw and taped them together while leaning them forward a bit. I think I'm going to cut a few 3 inch as well and once I've settled on a layout, carefully glue them together and make a base for it. You could conceivably cut thin strips of hard cardboard or masonite to the exact inside diameter and split each tube in two, effectively doubling your storage space.
A length of PVC is pretty cheap and the can of glue probably the most expensive thing you'll need. Acetone cleans PVC and CPVC. Make sure, if you scrounge it up, that you run a piece of towel through the tube to get rid of any dirt.

Regards!
Albert
Albert R

Re: Inexpensive File Rack

Postby Jim J » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:52 am

Funny, a couple of days ago I made a similar rack from a couple of cardboard shipping tubes cut to length, stacked in a milkcrate.
Used it to organise metal stock next to the lathe at work.

Great minds eh?
Jim J

Re: Inexpensive File Rack

Postby Albert R » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:45 pm

Jim,
I'm not to sure about this great mind, but I did get a similar idea using large PVC pipe! Since I'm in the construction field, there's a lot of PVC waste that I can pick up.
Larger files can be stored in horizontal racks, and as you mentioned metal stock as well. I bet if we put our minds to it, a thousand uses could be come up with PVC pipe as the basis.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Albert
Albert R

Return to Materials, Tools and Supplies