Hello from Manchester UK

Tell us a little about yourself and make yourself at home.

Hello from Manchester UK

Postby Tim E » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:06 pm

Hello forum community, and thank you to the admin team for accepting my request.

My Name is Tim and I currently reside in Manchester UK. I'm a 41 year old avid naturalist and have been passionate about wood and trees for as long as I can remember. Most of my interests tie into the natural world in one way or another and are my greatest inspiration and teaching. I am fascinated by all forms of flora and fauna - the individual energy, shapes, textures and patterns that are represented in the wider world, and curiously, tend to be expressed with amazing macro and micro-overlap. This is the fuel that inspires me to pick up my carving chisels or sculpting material. Wood is my primary medium, though I also enjoy working in plastiline (similar to plasticine) to work out form in my head before I cut the wood.

I made a selection of titanium sculpting tools last year, which required me to construct a small forge and an anvil from a piece of railway track - this was great fun. Working titanium was a learning curve - so tough but so light, and it polished up a treat making really tactile but strong tools. When necessary, I also make various small carving chisels and finishing tools.

I greatly admire the Japanese artistic tradition and work ethic of attention to detail and subsequently this has developed into a serious desire to work in metal, hence why I signed up. My aim is to design and make tsuba using the natural world as creative inspiration. I will be reading around the subject more closely as I have a few wooden projects that must be finished first. My woodwork tends to be detailed and soon soaks up my spare time. I tend to only work one job at a time to enable me to focus and maintain my drive. Wood has a warmth and life of its own and each piece tells its own story. Whilst this individuality is a large part of its beauty, it can also bring frustration at times, such as when a crack appears when you least expect it, or the grain makes finishing in an obscure region testing. However, its generally all part of the learning process! Therefore I look forward to the challenge of working in a new metallic medium.

Thanks for having me onboard and best wishes to you all.
Tim E
Tim E

Re: Hello from Manchester UK

Postby Steve » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:52 pm

Hello Tim,

Welcome - you realize that somebody is going to ask to see pics of your woodworking? Just so you're prepared.

Steve
Steve

Postby Tim E » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:16 pm

Hi Steve

Thanks for the welcome. I will upload a few images when I get chance as I am sure you are correct.

There is plenty of interesting metal-working information available here on the forum and I look forward to reading around the subject more closely. Fair play to members for uploading their thoughts and info. I hope I can be of use/help at some point.

All the best
Tim
Tim E

Postby Mel B » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:00 am

A warm welcome to you, Tim. :) Can't wait to see your stuff - seems like you really love what you do.
Let me keep my mind on what matters,
which is my work
which is mostly standing still and
learning to be astonished.
- Mary Oliver
Mel B

Postby Tim E » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:41 pm

Thanks Mel
Yes, I do enjoy working with my hands and creating things. Like most of us I work best when inspired, but if I step outside of that zone it can be easy to drop focus. I think the thing I would like to gain from working in metal is learning to quieten my mind whilst chiselling by focusing on the chisel and hammer strike - if possible? I also need to work more abstract as things have become fairly detailed of late. I will post some images soon. I have a piece that I have worked on and off and need to return and complete it. The wood I chose for one part was a tad soft, but I will explain my thinking when I post. It will be a new prospect for me here as I do not show or sign my work for various reasons and have always given it away, I just seem to enjoy the challenge :biggrin: A dear friend is a wood carving teacher, but ironically we rarely discuss carving, he just leaves me to get on with it, though some of his works were the inspiration to start carving, as well as seeing 2 stunning yew carvings in a French cathedral. I used to work with wood in my job, and would carve spoons, its then been a progression I've been making up as I go along.

All the best
Tim
Tim E

Postby Marcus » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:35 pm

Welcome Tim!
Plenty to sink your teeth into here :biggrin:
Glad to have you along and look forward to seeing some of your work.
Cheers,
Marcus :biggrin:
Marcus
Sponsor
Sponsor

Return to Introductions...please.