Hello from Denmark

Tell us a little about yourself and make yourself at home.

Hello from Denmark

Postby Jens A » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:31 pm

Hello From Denmark

My name is Jens Anso, 42 years old and fulltime knife maker for the past 15 years. I have been making since 1989 and have a masters degree in Industrial Design. I mainly make modern folding knives as well as I do quite a bit of knife designing for knife companies in Germany, Italy and the USA. I have a general interest in all things crafted by hand and have always had a fascination with Japanese crafts in general. I am self-taught in knife making and more recently have become self-taught in running my two CNC milling machines. My interest in knife making is driving me towards doing more art knives and in that pursuit I have started learning basic jeweler technics and such. Also while the CNC machines helps me run a fairly productive and succesfull company I have been feeling bit distanced from the basics in my field of work but working less and less with my hands. A couple years ago I saw the first video on Youtube by Ford Hallam and have been extremely impressed and humbled by this kind of work and am waiting in excitement for his book to come out. Only yesterday I found out about this place. I look forward to read though all the posts and when time permits me I plan on starting to investigate into learning some of the basic skills I have been so fascinated by.

I have attached a few pictures so you have an idea of what I do. A fairly basic knife and a somewhat more complicated example of my work.
Attachments
1969358_10205423522292539_3445767973233349387_n.jpg
one of the more complicated knives I have done with damascus inlays in the handle and a blade made from two different types of damascus bonded together with a mechanical joint.
12622148_10208692270849210_6616415255100230452_o.jpg
A somewhat simple knife with a handle made from Zirconium
Jens A

Re: Hello from Denmark

Postby Steve » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:22 pm

Hi Jens,

Welcome. Your knives look very well made and meticulously crafted - just the sort of attributes that will serve you well in your pursuit of Japanese metalwork.
Steve

Postby Dave R » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:41 pm

Welcome Jens :)
He was drawn into the spell of precise craftsmanship as another might be charmed by words or incantations. - Annie Proulx
Dave R
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Chris A » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:26 am

Jens welcome, you'll find plenty to interest you here in terms of pre-machine age technique and skill acquisition; and as you probably know you have an excellent resource of japanese metalwork in your design museum in Copenhagen.
'If I see further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants' - Newton
Chris A
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Mac » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:35 pm

Hello there, Mr. Jens
Mac

Postby Jens A » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:24 am

Thank you for the warm welcome! I am sure I will enjoy this place. I actually only just found out about the collection in the Design Museum by reading a post on this forum Chris :)
Jens A

Return to Introductions...please.