Hello from Sydney

Tell us a little about yourself and make yourself at home.

Hello from Sydney

Postby Garry J » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:46 am

Hello All,

My name is Garry and I’ve been visiting this forum every day for the past couple of years. My interests are blacksmithing, knife making and woodwork. I love Japanese crafts and have a pretty large collection of Japanese woodworking tools, verging on hording. It seems I just like sharp things. Unfortunately I don’t have a workshop at present so have not fired up the forge for a long time but tinker with a bit of woodwork and restore old tools to keep the creative urges satisfied. I’ve been thinking that the smaller scale work done here might be good for me with my sans workshop situation. Nihonto have been an interest for a long time but I’ve have always worked on more practical things like tools and kitchen knives so although I love what you guys do I haven’t seen a clear direction for myself. Earlier this year I joined the forum in case I wanted to contribute but didn’t introduce myself as I wasn’t making anything.

Last week I was contacted by a friend who had bought an old army katana which had no tsuka but still had the tsuba, habaki and one seppa. He asked if I knew anything about it and if I could perhaps replace the handle. So, I now have a direction! I need to make a complete tsuka. There will be questions following re fuchi kashira.

Regards,
Garry
Garry J

Re: Hello from Sydney

Postby Mac » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:51 am

Hello , Mr. Gary.
I have no doubts someone will have the answers you need.
Mac

Re: Hello from Sydney

Postby Sage » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:04 am

Welcome Garry :)
Sage MacGillivray

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." ~George Bernard Shaw
Sage

Return to Introductions...please.