Matashichi Hayashi Utsushi

For work in progess and finished pieces

Matashichi Hayashi Utsushi

Postby cam_hardiman » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:48 am

Progress on my Matashichi Hayashi Utsushi, Plum Blossom and Moon from tutorial no 2.

I printed to image out in scale then placed it onto the a pice of 5 mm steel plate. A few drops of thick viscosity CA glue, that spread throughout the print like it was tissue paper, and the images was fixed onto the steel. The print layer with the CA glue is pretty hard and survived some rough treatment.

I ran out of Glardon Vallorbe 2/0 blades halfway through cutting the tsuba. So I switched to Super Pike 2/0 that I had as a back up. The Super Pikes didn't like cutting bends and corners as much as the Vallorbe blades did; they were much better performers.

After the cutting was completed, the image was removed with acetone.

Tusba 2 Cut.jpg

I started the filing. Its going to take quite a while to complete. In case you are wondering about the patchy colour of the steel? It was cold rolled plate so the skin was hard. So it spent the night in the fire. Now it's workable. The night in the fire would have burnt the print layer off as well.

Tsuba 2 Filing.jpg
cam_hardiman

Re: Matashichi Hayashi Utsushi

Postby Ford » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:00 am

A good start, Cam.

One quick tip, before filing and after annealing you might want to pickle the steel to remove any scale. Fire scale is harder than the steel itself and will dull your files more quickly.

Jewellers safety pickle (used only for ferrous, don't put copper in it or you'll plate the steel) or diluteted HCl, muriatic or swimming pool acid does a quick job. Just don't leave the piece in and forget about it :-p Rinse with a little bicarb to neutralise when clean.
"The artist yields often to the stimuli of materials that will transmit his spirit." Odilon Redon
my website
Ford
Administrator
Administrator

Postby cam_hardiman » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:41 am

Great tip Ford. I do that now. Thank you.

I'm already planning my next Tsuba...I think I'm addicted.

Cam

:pray1:
cam_hardiman

Postby cam_hardiman » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:10 am

Some more filing, two days worth in fact. I'll be putting this aside soon until I get myself a pitch bowl and some tagane. Still of work to do on this Tsuba.

Next Tsuba is on the drawing board.

Cam

Tsuba More Filing .jpg
cam_hardiman

Return to Show and tell