New raised copper, shibori

For work in progess and finished pieces

New raised copper, shibori

Postby Glen G » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:35 pm

It's been a long while since I've posted. Here is some of the newest of my raised copper pieces. This work is done using Japanese style tools and methods. I have used .050" 16ga copper here. They "silver' encrustation" is accomplished by flowing silver solder onto textured surfaces, followed by scraping down to base level and proceeding with raising and planishing. Patina is via fuming (in a closed container) using liver of sulphur solution with a little added ammonium sulphate which gives a distinct vapor kick. The little whiskey cups have their insides tinned.
More to come :-)
-G
Attachments
whiskey cups +.JPG
copper w/silver encruste 2.5"h x2"w
GsG Cu bowl 17.jpg
Copper w/silver encruste 5"h x 5-1/4"w
"Have no fear of perfection. You'll never reach it." Salvador Dali
Glen S. Gardner
Pgh. PA
http://crafthaus.ning.com/profile/GlenSGardner
Glen G

Re: New raised copper, shibori

Postby Steve » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:19 am

Shape, colour, texture - hard to describe in words except, nice! Hats off, especially the forming - I had a go at trying to raise a bowl in copper and it ain't easy :cussing:
Steve

Postby Glen G » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:38 pm

Cosmic cups2.png
whiskey cups, silver encruste, tin

Some of my itty bitty whiskey cups.
Glen S. Gardner
Pgh. PA
Glen G

Postby Glen G » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:49 pm

And a couple of other things.
belted cup.jpg
Whiskey Cup, 2.5" h x 2"w. Copper, silver encruste,
small vase.png
Copper Vase, 5.5"h x 4.5"h. Copper, silver encruste
Glen S. Gardner
Pgh. PA
Glen G

Postby Dave R » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:37 pm

Very nice Glen.
Any comments on technique?
The colors are really nice.
:thanx:
He was drawn into the spell of precise craftsmanship as another might be charmed by words or incantations. - Annie Proulx
Dave R
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Glen G » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:45 pm

Hi Dave,
I mostly employ Japanese raising techniques and tools. I've not studied abroad so I'm sure that how I do this work is not strictly Japanese methodology. There are some threads that I posted to IB a couple years ago which show the tools I use. The stakes (ategane) and most of my hammers I have made myself.
The silver "encruste" is a matter of first creating a surface texture using a variety of methods including chasing, textured hammers or just creating carefully placed hammer dings. I usually do this when the raised form is close to complete. The surface is fluxed and I apply 50%Ag industrial solder (Cadmium free!) using a large soft flame propane torch. I apply dots of solder to the areas I want silvered. Only a tiny amount is required for good effect. To much solder creates a LOT of extra work. I use a small flat stainless steel paddle (a flattend SS weld rod) tool to help spread the solder over the surfaces. I then do a light course of planishing to somewhat level the surface.
The real labor starts now as I need to scrape, file or otherwise remove excess solder, with the goal of revealing the base metal and leaving the solder mostly or completely in the crevices of the applied texture. I use a standard triangular scraper (honed razor sharp) for this work. FInger tape is HIGHLY recommended when doing this :devilish: !
Now I go back to raising and/or refining the surface with bright polished planishing hammers. More scraping if I'm so inclined. On the "Vase" I left the surface as scraped, no final planishing. This leaves a very subtle, reasonably bright final texture/sheen. The whiskey cups were left as planished.
For final surface prep before patination I pretty much use Japanese methods of hand working much as Ford explains for preparing pieces for niage patina.
Abrasive powders Alo or Silc followed by powdered charcoal. For the vase I used niage (rokusho). Because I used silver solder, not pure silver, I've found that using daikon is no help in maintaining the whiteness of the silvered areas. I pretty much have to live with the results. Some light rubbing/brushing part way through and after the niage process helps but it is very difficult, maybe impossible to achieve the color contrast I would prefer.
The whiskey cups are tinned on the inside so I can't really use rokusho as it royally makes a mess of the tin if left in the solution for more than a few seconds. So I have been doing the coloring on these items by fuming with a solution of Liver of Sulphur. Same hand polishing here. Object needs to be perfectly dry (otherwise expect streaks/spots). Object is suspended in a 5gallon pail over a dish containing of the fresh LOS solution. A lid is placed over the pail. The brilliant colors develop rapidly (5-7 minutes). If left longer shades of grey and black will take over. Regardless of patina, all the finished work is given a couple of coats of Ren wax. I should note that this fuming process is still under development. Some of the brilliant hues achieved are not super stabil.
Glen S. Gardner
Pgh. PA
Glen G

Postby Mac » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:19 am

Great stuff, Mr. Glen. Raising is something I suck at so seeing skilled execution is fantastic to me.
Mac

Postby Glen G » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:29 pm

Thanks Mr. Mac, but I still really feel like a beginner :-). Like so many things discussed on these pages. It's a lot to do about patience, observation. and developing instincts.
Hammer on,
-G
Glen S. Gardner
Pgh. PA
Glen G

Postby Dave R » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:07 am

Hey Glen

Thanks for taking the time to make the comments.
He was drawn into the spell of precise craftsmanship as another might be charmed by words or incantations. - Annie Proulx
Dave R
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Marcus » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:53 pm

Lovely work Glen! I'm tooling up at the moment to dive into this type of work myself. Great to see this what you've done...it's give something to aspire toward.
Cheers,
Marcus :biggrin:
Marcus
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Glen G » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:30 pm

Thanks Marcus,
I think I previously posted some pictures of the tools I've made. They are really not too difficult to make but a forge really helps. The more of this work I do I am finding that the devil is in the details of the ategane (stakes). Aside from the more obvious requirements for the curvatures of the working faces, the positioning (height, length, angles) of the ategane will greatly affect your comfort and efficiency during hammering sessions. I suspect final tweaks to this tooling will depend on personal dynamics. Anyway, I'd love to see what you come up with.
-G
Glen S. Gardner
Pgh. PA
Glen G

Postby Peter B » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:47 pm

Glen,
This is exactly the sort of thoughtful creativity and generous discussion that I was hoping to find here. Thank you! I will follow up you suggestions and links.
Peter Bleed
Peter B

Postby Glen G » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:40 pm

2oz shot cups hi res.jpg
Copper w/Tin, 2+oz (70ml) volume, fumed patina

More in the whiskey cup series. These are quite small, Sake or single shot volume. This pair marks first experiment using pure Tin encrustation on outer surfaces. Much easier than the aforementioned Silver method. Still left with a limited choice for patina. I wish I knew what the Japanese are using? Partly it appears they are using rokusho for a quick dip but it has only made a mess of the Tin for me. And it seems to be altering the rokusho solution.
Ahh well, keep on pushin.
-G
Glen S. Gardner
Pgh. PA
Glen G

Return to Show and tell