I give up!

Colouring processes for metal and other materials.

Re: I give up!

Postby Etienne » Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:59 pm

it's a really nice thread, and here i thought a mix of salt and peroxide would do the trick... the way described here gives a much better result to my eyes even if it is slower to get results i might choose that way of doing it.

can anyone send me the recipe for this (i say recipe but it is mainly the way of doing it with what's needed to do it) or maybe post another post with all the informations like a tutorial?

by the way that tsuba looks awesome i hope the tsuba i'm planning to do will have a nice patination like yours it's really nice.
Etienne

Postby Rob F » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:47 pm

Hey folks, I could use your help.

I started the patina process for my tsuba project #2 and have hit a few head scratchers. As always, there is so many great threads on the subject that I've read. Maybe someone has a hint, tip, or giant YOUR DOING IT WRONG for me.

In terms of the patina—I haven't reached the cuss-word level of frustration yet, but I have increased my vocabulary. :lipssealed:

So far I do the below items when I start.

- scrub the tsuba with scouring powder, rinse and dry
- Heat it up to be red hot and let cool
- 5-7 minute dip in acid (muriatic)
- quick dip in water and dry
- dab, spray or brush on the patina (mix below)
- put in a bucket (similar to Kevin's) with paper at the bottom, not soaked, not covered (too humid)

Then, twice daily, I do the below:

- scrub the tsuba with a stiff nylon and wire brush
- additionally scrub with steel wool (already cleaned in acitone)
- add additional patina
- back in the bucket

When I dab the patina on the tsuba it goes black, quick. I try to cover all the areas and make it a point to go back and dab-off any excess that pools.

Here's the thing though. It's been raining non-stop sense I started this. We are talking flood warnings daily. I have the bucket uncovered, outside, under a covered deck. I have TOO MUCH humidity at this point.

Below is an example of how the tsuba looks every time I bring it in though. Less rust, more of a skin.

RF_Tsuba2_Rusting.jpg

Oh, the patina recipe I use is this:

- Vinegar 250 ml
- Water 125 ml
- Salt 5 grams
- Copper Sulfate 1.5 grams
- and 5 grams of liver of sulfur. ( Potassium polysulfide )

Any help is appreciated. :pray:
-Rob
Rob F

Postby Ford » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:22 pm

Rob

scrubbing twice daily seems a little hurried perhaps. Maybe give it 24 hours. And bear in mind that scrubbing with steel wool will probably remove most of what you're trying to develop if you're not really careful.
"The artist yields often to the stimuli of materials that will transmit his spirit." Odilon Redon
my website
Ford
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Rob F » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:47 pm

Sounds good, thanks for the response Ford.

I took a look this morning and the coverage seems a bit more even. This evening I'll take a firm nylon bristle brush (plus a toothbrush) to it and see what happens.

Thanks again,
-Rob
Rob F

Postby Rob F » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:17 am

Is it wrong that the mad scientist in me really enjoys all this experimentation? It's amazing how this process works and that it produces such a result.

Below is another before and after taken from this evening. As recommended, I sat back for 24+ hours and just let it be. I noticed (especially after cleaning) it was much more even. Thanks again for the suggestion Ford. I was also softer with the scrubbing this time around. I cleaned it both under hot water and when it was completely dry (see image below).

RF_Tsuba_2_Rust2.jpg

I haven't boiled it in green tea yet though. Honestly, because I drank it all. :redface:

-Rob
Rob F

Patination Experiments

Postby Albert R » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:29 pm

Newbs!
Another great and buried post on patination!
You will have to forgive me, but lost and buried treasures must be regularly unearthed for more conversation, illumination, and elucidation!

Both Kevin and Rob had projects that helped illustrate the patination process on steel!
There must be a way for an individual to "Favorite" a post... is there?

Regards!
Albert
Albert R

Postby Lucas C » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:55 am

Dont give up Steve! :Peace:
Hello guys, since you're talking about ferrous patination, I'd like to share what I've been doing too. Maybe it could help another begginer like me :P
1-After cleaning and degreasing, I piclkle the tsuba spraying some vinegar and heating it with a heat gun.
2-Then I'll spray the piece with a mixture of hydrogen peroxide, vinegar and salt. I'm not sure about proportions, but usually I use more peroxide than vinegar.
3-The metal oxidizes instantly, and I keep spraying and heating (heating helps a lot)
4-Then I scrub it gently with a toothbrush to remove the "weaker" oxyde layer and repeat from 2
5- Once I'm satisfied with the rust coating, I submerge the piece in boiling water for about 5 minutes, which converts the red oxide Fe2O3 (hematite) to black oxide Fe3O4(magnetite)
6- I scrub it gently again and repeat the process from 2.
For me, usually it takes a lot of repeats, but I kinda like the result. I've managed to develop a uniform dark patina, with an interesting texture too.
Here is a picture of a very simple tsuba that I made and used this method. Hope it is worth a look.
See ya
Attachments
20170801_233549.jpg
Lucas C

Postby cam_hardiman » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:19 am

The patina looks great Lucas.

Cam

:pray1:
cam_hardiman

Previous

Return to Colouring